Sunday, April 17, 2011

Twitter Here I Come...

This past Tuesday, I was told by my EPSY 556 instructor that I should definitely try out Twitter.  I have been procrastinating and holding out on Twitter for a couple years now. My fear was that I would just not care what people "tweeted".  I didn't want to waste my time on reading about where people were at, what they were doing, eating, etcetera, etcetera.  After listening to my classmates and instructor discuss about the information they receive from Twitter concerning education, technology, and the benefits to students, I have decided to give Twitter a chance. Before Tuesday, I had heard of several benefits for high school educators and Twitter, but I have never put much thought into how I could use Twitter to an early elementary teacher. 

Today I signed up, found 10 accounts to follow, and voile, done! My goal for using Twitter is to find useful and prevalent information from the people/groups/businesses I follow to help me as an educator. My plan is actively use Twitter for a month. Once my month is up, I will then re-evaluate to see if using Twitter has been worthwhile for me. These are the accounts I am following:
@DanielPink
@edweekevents@EDUCAUSELI
@DiscoveryEd
@techlearning
@web20classroom@coolcatteacher@ClayShirky
@Discovery_News
@Discovery

As I was searching, I found Deadliest Catch's Mike Fourtner and Dirty Jobs' Mike Rowe. I love watching these two shows, but I resisted following them. I can easily see myself getting caught into celebrity tweets. Ugh!  PLEASE let me know if you follow or know of any other Twitter accounts that I may find useful, in regards to elementary education and technology. Help the newbie!!! I truly would like to find good resources that will make spending my time worthwhile and useful.  Thanks for your help.  :)

3 comments:

  1. I am with you! I signed up for @techlearning just after Tuesday's class; here's hoping I continue with it. At the very least, I can always add the feeds to my reader and steer clear of actually visiting Twitter (which probably annoys me more than actually reading what people have to say).

    Us Twitter n00bs have to stick together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meghan,

    @coolcatteacher is one you might be interested in - that is actually one I follow in blog form.

    For you, I was thinking Cooney Center might be one to follow because they do a lot of research on technology and young children. Their information should pertain more particularly to your classroom. I have forwarded some podcasts and links that I found through their tweets to our lower school head.

    Hope that helps! Good lucking finding a way for twitter to work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realized after I read your comment, that I follow coolcatteacher's blog. I will definitely add her to my twitter account to follow! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete